Sense-Making for Geopolitics and the Future: Strategic Foresight and Early Warning, Risk Management
As you understood, our concerns, research and publications are located at the intersection of geopolitics and international security on the one hand, anticipation of the future and uncertainty on the other. Furthermore we aim at being practical, i.e. create actionable strategic foresight and early warning.
To try to make it easier for you to meet your objectives in a complex environment, we offer here an introduction and then two orientations to navigate the website.
As an introduction, we suggest three of our publications:
We briefly present the field, its evolution and some of the challenges faced in the need for strategic foresight and early warning. This article also lays the foundation for our philosophy.
Because we realised over the years and with experience that our field is sometime poorly understood, we tried to find ways to make it easier to understand. We thus offer you a concise FAQ on the topic.
You can also watch our video on “What is political risk” that will bring light to what we do compared with a general approach to “political risk”.
You can read articles from each section, of course!
Practice and Learn Methodology and Tools
If you are interested in learning more about how to do strategic foresight and early warning then you can read our articles from our section on methodology.
Dive in Geopolitical Issues and Stakes
If you are rather interested in geopolitics and international security, in understanding the most pressing issues and what lies ahead, then head to our section focused on geopolitical issues and stakes.
There, you will find all our articles, publications and research grouped by main themes and issues. You will find in-depth analyses, different perceptions on various topics. We also tell you what we currently focus upon, what is on our watch. We deliver warnings, etc.
Our latest articles
- The war in Gaza and China’s pivot to the Middle East(Art direction and design: Jean-Dominique Lavoix-Carli) Given the speed and political density of the historic sequence opened by the Gaza war, the first article in this new RTAS series covers only the period from 7 to 27 October 2023. Introduction: A new war in a new Middle East On 27 October 2023, Israel’s military launched …
- How to Create New Civilizations (1)? Challenges and Pressures(Art direction and design: Jean-Dominique Lavoix-Carli) The first decades of the 21st century present human societies with many challenges. At times, it appears our very civilizations are at stake. Can we create new better-adapted civilizations? What are the alternatives? What can we learn from the works that have examined the history of civilisations? Between the …
- The Red Team Analysis Society selected for Frontex June 2023 Industry DaysWe are happy to share with our readers our selection for Frontex June 2023 Industry days. Frontex explains what are its Industry days as follows: “Frontex assists the EU countries in supporting the development of modern technologies for the European Border and Coast Community. As part of its mandate, Frontex regularly meets with industry, researchers, …
- Climate Breakdown: Towards War to Reduce CO2 Emissions?(Art direction and design: Jean-Dominique Lavoix-Carli) “Climate breakdown has begun” warned UN Secretary-General António Guterres in a statement released on 6 September 2023. Globally, throughout the 2023 Summer, the world has lived through the beginning of the turmoil and havoc that climate change and related temperature rise bring. Repeated heatwaves, related air pollution “with knock-on …
- Climate Emergency, AI and the (Necessary ?) Rise of GeoengineeringIn the 2002 post-apocalyptic-movie “Reign of fire”, the last human colonies are exterminated by dragons burning the remnants of already poor crops. In 2023, the emergence of an early and powerful El Niño event amid the planetary effects of global warming raises the question of its geopolitical consequences in a world rocked by the war …
- Challenge Your Beliefs with the AI SphinxTry Sphinx to challenge your beliefs, assumptions and hypotheses. Sphinx is an AI assistant designed to challenge assumptions, reinforce arguments, and identify blind spots. It uses OpenAI’s GPT3.5 model and the Red Team Analysis Society’s methodology and knowledge base to provide a devil’s advocate perspective. In this article, we also explore the importance of challenging assumptions and showcase what Sphinx can achieve with the example of climate change.
- Exploring cascading impacts with AIStrategic foresight, early warning and risk management require evaluating possible impacts beyond direct effects. Explore cascading effects with Pithia’s AI-powered form. Discover what could be the cascading impacts of a very rapid adoption of generative AI across actors in the Western world… as identified by our AI.
- War in Ukraine, the 2023 Super El Niño and Global Disruptions – Anthropocene Wars 8Since its very outbreak in March 2022, the geopolitical and economic effects of the war in Ukraine have combined with the cascading consequences of climate change (Jean-Michel Valantin, “War in Ukraine, The U.S Mega drought and the Coming Global Food Crisis”, The Red Team Analysis Society, May 1, 2022). In 2023, it is very likely that …
- Foreseeing the Future with ChatGPT?Discover how AI, particularly GPT-like models, can help anticipate the future, and why it matters in the fields of geopolitics and security. In this series of articles, we explore how to ensure technology remains a tool to serve us rather than becoming a slave to it. The first article looks at what GPT models are, why they matter in terms of jobs and occupations, and tests ChatGPT on a specific foresight question.