The Chronicles of Everstate are scenarios for a fictional state created to imagine and tell the story of the potential futures for our – very real – states or countries.
They explain the political dynamics at work in polities. They lay the groundwork to explore the futures of the modern nation-state over the next twenty years as explained in the introductory article Foreseeing the Future of the Modern Nation-State: the Chronicles of Everstate. Finally, they address methodological challenges and issues.
French translations: Only recent articles are human translations. The other articles are automatically translated by DeepL. We are gradually reviewing and improving the translation of these 600 articles…
Table of Content
Section 1: Setting the Stage
Creating and Navigating the Chronicles of Everstate
- Creating Everstate (Open Access)
- Everstate’s characteristics (Open Access)
- Creating Evertime (Open Access)
- Everstate: Setting the stage (I) (Open Access)
- Everstate: Setting the stage (II) (Open Access)
- Tragic Events: Testing Scenarios (Premium)
- The Chronicles of Everstate: the Actors (Premium)
Section 2: The Futures of Everstate
All the narratives below are premium articles (members-only).
How it all started:
Everstate in 2212 EVT
- 2212 EVT: Rising Discontent
- 2212 EVT: Seeking Security
- 2212 EVT: Budget Deficit and Liquidity
- 2212 EVT: Public Resources and Lenders
- 2212 EVT: the Power of Novstate
- 2212 EVT: Ideological Stakes in an Outdated Worldview
- 2212 EVT: Material Stakes in an Outdated Worldview
During the year, Everstate is notably faced with a critical juncture point and three possible scenarios evolve from there.
Scenario 1: Mamominarch – Off with the State
Off with the State
- 2212 EVT – Scenario 1 – Mamominarch: Off with the State
- 2212-2213 EVT – Implementing the Mamominarch conclusions
- 2213 – 2218 EVT – A Current Account Surplus? Think again!
- 2213 – 2218 EVT – Shrinking the Income of the Nation
- 2213 – 2218 EVT – Involution
Complex catastrophes strike…
- 2218 – 2223 EVT – Complex Catastrophes
- 2218 – 2223 EVT – From Grievances to Political Mobilisation
- 2218 – 2223 EVT – Escalation
- 2218 – 2223 EVT – A Polity in Shambles
Scenario 2: Panglossy – Same Old, Same Old
Same Old, Same Old
- 2212 EVT – Scenario 2 – Panglossy: Same Old, Same Old
- 2212 EVT – New Government, New Opposition, Last Hope
- 2212-2213 EVT – Restoring Growth
- 2213 – 2218 EVT – Increasing wages: not enough, too late?
- 2213 – 2218 EVT – Investing for Green Growth without Liquidity (I)
- 2213 – 2218 EVT – Investing for Green Growth without Liquidity (2)
- 2213 – 2218 EVT – Green Growth in Action
- 2213 – 2218 EVT – Novstate-Air: Fighting Air Pollution for Profit
- 2213 – 2218 EVT – Unforeseen Outrage: Privatising the Commons
- 2213 – 2218 EVT – Learning from Water Privatization?
- To be continued
Bibliography on nations, governance and the modern state (Open Access)
- The Red Team Analysis Weekly – 26 May 2022
- Information Warfare and the War in Ukraine
- The Red Team Analysis Weekly – 19 May 2022
- The Red Team Analysis Weekly – 12 May 2022
- The Red Team Analysis Weekly – 5 May 2022
- War in Ukraine, Megadrought and the Coming Global Food Crisis – Anthropocene Wars (3)
We are republishing the whole Chronicles of Everstate considering their relevance to the second decade of the twenty-first century. This very pertinence shows the validity of our methodology and approach. Given proper resources, SF&W or risk management products are an investment for actors that can help them steer their strategies and policies not only on the very short term but also over a long time.
The mapping for the Chronicles of Everstate was developed throughout 2010 and 2011. The scenarios were written between June 2011 and July 2012. For the scenarios themselves, the re-publishing process will only update the form and the technical part, but not the content, to allow for lessons learned.
Featured image: Detail of the frontispiece of the book Leviathan by Thomas Hobbes via Wikimedia Commons.